Sunday, October 19, 2008

IP7's green birthday!!

To begin with, I am so proud of my soon to be seven year old!! He has decided to have a green birthday and not only that, he has also announced that he will pass on the gifts from his friends this year. Instead, he will tell them to bring in a donation for local charities.(aaawwww :))) He does not want decorations either because according to him, after the party it will be thrown away and this will just create unneccessary garbage!

We have contacted Little Friends- an organization that runs 14 different programs including a preschool for kids with special needs. We have gotten their wishlist which we are going to attach to the invitations. We have also contacted a national charity called Loaves and Fishes and gotten their wish list also. We are doing this just so that his friends and their parents have a choice!

My friend, NG33, from Troy, Michigan was the first to know about IP7's plan. She gave a very positive response and told him, "I am so proud of you!" This really gave him a lot of encouragement. However, not everyone has been so supportive:((((
IP7 was at the dentist's and the dental hygienist was the first person to bring his spirits down. When she came to know about my son's plan for his birthday, she said, "Oh! I am so sorry... you will not have toys to play now. You will have to give it away to charity." I don't know if she even understood what my son's plans were! I managed to keep a smile on my face without letting my anger show up, but if I had it my way, I would have slapped straight in the face followed by a tight blow in the gut. That's how furious I was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I tried to calm myself down thinking that the dentist will have more brains than her and will know what to say to a 7 year old kid for such good thoughts. But I was wrong again! The dentist said, "Well, what can I say... it's your decision." Now, I was ready to blow up. I thought the whole place was crazy... money minded and insensitive. I pitied them for pitying my son's noble cause. I hope they learn a good lesson from a 7 year old kid who has a bigger heart and giving spirit than them!

My son's mind was slightly shaken up. I tried my best to make him see the brighter side, but he was not able to. I think he thought it's going to be a lose lose situation for him. Frustrated, confused and sad, we come home to a good dinner of homemade tacos and burritobowl. Our spirits were still low when my all time saviour PM30 came to the rescue!!! I told her about what had happened at the dentist's. So, she talked with my son and gave him and me a super boost! Now we are back on track. Phew!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment