Saturday, May 14, 2011

Virgin Sangria


The second drink in the above picture is featured in this post.


I love the name Sangria for a drink! It is a wine punch typical of Spain and Portugal. It normally consists of red wine, sliced fruit, some spices like cinnamon, small amount of brandy, triple sec or other spirits, orange juice and some sort of sweetener like agave nectar, honey or simple syrup. There are a lot of variations. One can vary the fruits, wines, etc. If white wine is used in place of red, it is called Sangria blanca (makes sense).

Ever since I started planning a surprise party for a dear friend, I was on a hunt for non alcoholic drinks for adults and children. I was tired of boring drinks like coke and his cousins, pepsi and her cousins and their extended families. I came across Mock Champagne which is amazingly refreshing! I wanted one more drink and I found this at a sweet pea chefLacey has awesome pictures on her website. Just looking at the pictures I was drooling all over. My picture above does not do any justice to the drink and is nothing compared to those of Lacey's. Please do visit Lacey for some great recipes.

There are certain things in a recipe that make you want to try it. One of them is the ingredients and their chemistry. Since I hate do not like grape juice, apple juice or orange juice, I don't think I would have given this recipe a shot had it not been for the pictures. I was visually talked into trying this recipe.

Well, enough said. If the links above do not work (I am a newbie blogger and I am still learning), here is the recipe:
(Once again, the credit goes completely to Lacey for this refreshing drink). I followed it to the T.

Virgin Sangria

3 cups grape juice
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 lemon, thinly sliced, with peel
1/2 lime, thinly sliced, with peel
1 medium orange, thinly sliced, with peel
1 small apple, cored, sliced into 8ths, with peel
1 small black plum, thinly sliced, with peel
2-3 cups sparkling mineral water or club soda, to taste

Directions

Combine the fruits and juices in a large pitcher. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, overnight preferably, to allow for flavors to combine. Prior to serving, add mineral water and stir together.

I had used 3 cups of club soda.

Like the Mock Champagne, this recipe was a huge hit with adults and children! The moment I utter the word Sangria, my kids get excited. They love to help me prepare it. Their favorite part is the measuring and tossing all the fruits that I cut. My favorite part is slicing the citrus fruits and just looking at my drink server filled with a dark red colored drink with fruits floating in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment