Thursday, September 29, 2011

Eggless Double Chocolate Cappuccino Muffins

Ishaan had been asking me to buy nutella for a few weeks now. I have been avoiding it because it is delicious (so not good for me) and Shiv cannot have it due to his food allergies. On a recent trip to the grocery store, I decided to buy nutella for Ishaan. He was very happy when he returned from school and saw it. Shiv was a little sad. In order to cheer him up, I told him we would bake muffins. He loves baking with me in the kitchen. He was very excited and seized the opportunity right away. We got to work and he made sure that Ishaan did not help because even he loves to bake with me.... so Shiv's rule was - just like Shiv cannot eat nutella, Ishaan cannot bake with us. Shiv did not let him enter the kitchen at all. Poor Ishaan!

Even I love to bake! I just feel so happy when I see the baking tray out of the oven... be it a savory or a sweet dish... it just makes me extremely happy. I am on cloud nine and if the dish comes out as good as these muffins, mm mmm mmmm .. I start behaving like "Master Chef" for a few hours.

I digress. Shiv did all the measuring and pouring under my supervision. We also used this as a good math learning experience. We got a chance to go over fractions. He practically saw that two 1/4 tsps make 1/2 tsp, a 1/3 is a little less than 1/2, 1/2 cup+1/4 cup made the 3/4 cups of the flour. I just threw the question at him and let him do the thinking. For example: I said, "Shiv we don't have a measuring cup for 3/4 cup measurement all we have is 1 cup, 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup. What shall we do now? That's when he answered, "Let's use 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup."

It was fun!

Well, coming back to the recipe, I like this recipe because one it is eggless and two it is made with oil not butter.
Recipe source: US Masala

Ingredients: Makes about 12 muffins

1. All Purpose flour/ Whole wheat pastry flour/ whole wheat flour - 1 3/4 cups
2. Powdered sugar - 3/4 cup
3. Cocoa powder - 3 tbsps
4. Semi sweet chocolate chips - 3/4 cup + 1/4 cup
5. Salt - 1/4 tsp
6. Baking Powder - 2 tsp
7. Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
8. Milk - 1 cup + 3 tbsp
9. Oil - 1/3 cup
10.Vanilla extract - 1 tbsp
11. Instant coffee powder - 2 1/2 tsp

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Melt 3/4 cup chocolate chips with 3 tbsp milk in the microwave. 
3. In a bowl, sift all the dry ingredients.


4. In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients and beat for a minute. Add the melted chocolate chips and instant coffee powder dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water.


5. Add the above mix to the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula. Add the 1/4 cup chocolate chips to the batter. Do not over mix. Make sure there are no lumps of dry flour.


6. Spoon this mixture into muffin cups till 3/4 way filled.


Shiv loves licking whatever little is left in the bowl. You won't believe it... he did not even let Ishaan lick the bowl. He is the nicest little brother I have ever seen, but at times even he acts up.


7. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.



8. Let the muffins cool down to room temperature.





9. Enjoy with warm or cold milk!

Linking to Beauty and Bedlam 
Jingle all the way @ Edible Arrangements

10 comments:

  1. Oh I know .. I know how nutella is.. I have the same problem.. I try to avoid buying it completely.. coz I simply cant stay away…

    Well.. these do look yummm… I must try them with my daughters.. bet they would totally love them.. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those muffins look SO yummy! Wish I had one right now!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey this is one nice receipe, yummy and Eggless...will have to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy muffins,,,will try sometime

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks yummm.. and eggless too... Bookmarking it!

    Love the picture with Shiv licking the bowl, brought back memories of when my mum use to bake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Anisha:
    Thank you for following my blog and your comment! My boys always fight over who gets to lick the bowl and spatula. Fun memories of childhood!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum-o-lah!
    Blessings
    libhttp://bit.ly/ouXgr8

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanx for sending it to my event :) My blog is Edible *Entertainment*, not Arrangement. Could you please edit that?
    -
    Kavi
    (Edible Entertainment)
    Ongoing events:
    Jingle All The Way &
    Microwave Easy Cooking
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete