Monday, October 10, 2011

Jalebi disaster


I have been on a mission to cook as many Indian sweets at home as possible. I had started way before Navratri so that I could be well versed with most of them, but wasn't that successful with a few. The most disastrous was Jalebi.

Instead of taking the shorter route and using the instant jalebi recipe, I went for the longer route thinking 'more work will give better result'.

O God! I soaked the batter and let it ferment for 12+ hours and what not. I was in fact very happy when I was pouring the batter in oil in a spiral form. It seemed pretty easy and I was good at it! Check out the huge Jalebi!





I was extremely happy thinking I have nailed down one more Indian sweet. Boy was I wrong or what... I fried them all and dipped them in the sugar syrup. That's when disaster struck! The Jalebis became very chewy and more of a pancake like instead of retaining its cripness.

I don't think I am ever going to try making Jalebis again.

7 comments:

  1. You are very very brave… to give Indian sweets a go!! Really! Wow!! Im super impressed with you!! Oh my gosh.. you even tried Jalebi.. Listen.. so what if it was a disaster.. You’ve done something.. not too many people do these days.. So you should totally be proud of yourself…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what enthu! I hardly have any enthu to attempt these things...not even a cake actually! Great going...don't give up. Maybe next time you can try from the ready made batter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are so brave too...I wouldn't dare make an attempt at something so complicated:):) But hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Chewy or not, I bet it was delicious:):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girlie… that’s so much for linking in to ‘of spooks & sparkles’ too… That was lovely of you.. really!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patty, Divs, Kala: Thanks for the encouragement!It feels so good to read such lovely comments first thing in the morning when I expected this to be the least read post. Thank you ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! Thanks for sharing,JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least you tried ;-) .... I don't even make an attempt at these ;-) ;-) ... So you must be really proud of you....;-) ;-) ...

    Thanks for dropping by and leaving such sweet comments !!! Hope to see you at the blog party : http://liventhingsup.blogspot.com/2011/10/itz-festival-time-2011.html

    ReplyDelete