Saturday, October 8, 2011

Sunken Apple Muffins

Now that Navratri is over, my fruit basket is full of apples that we got as prasad (holy offering to God) from friends' places. So I decided to make Apple Muffins for a change. I have never made or even tasted Apple Muffins. I don't like apple pie so I am never motivated to try anything Apple. Moreover, I like to bake at home in order to avoid the extra 'goodies' (read: chemicals and preservatives) from store bought items. That way I know what we are eating is healthier and I don't have to worry about those nasty allergens.

I have a basic muffin recipe to which I thought of adding apples. It was purely an experiment.

Ingredients:

1. All Purpose Flour: 1 1/4 cup
2. Baking powder: 2 tsp
3. Baking soda: 1/2 tsp
4. Salt: 1/8 tsp
5. Yogurt: 2 tbsp (well beaten)
6. Sugar: 1/2 cup
7. Cold milk: 1 cup
8. Vanilla extract: 11/2 tsp
9. Oil: 1/2 cup
10. Apples: 2

Method:

To prepare the apples:

1. Wash, core and slice the apples thinly. Do not peel the apples.

2. In a pan, add 1and 1/4 cup water and 3/4 cup sugar.

3. To this add 2 cinnamon sticks and the sliced apples. Let it simmer for 20-25 minutes.

4. Drain the apples.


For the muffins:

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

2. Sift all the dry ingredients except sugar.


3. Mix all the wet ingredients in a bowl. Add sugar and beat for 2-3 minutes until the sugar dissolves.

4. Add the wet mix to the dry mix. Beat till well combined (1 min). Make sure there are no lumps.

5. Pour the batter in a muffin tray with liners up to 3/4 way.

Now comes the fun part. You know how I have been rolling here and here, I thought of doing that to the apples also.

Roll one slice of apple tightly. This forms the bud. Make sure the skin side is on the top. Keep adding more slices to form the rose. Now place the rose gently in the batter like this

6. Bake for 20 minutes. Let the muffins cool down and enjoy!




The overall result was not what I had expected.

1. The flavors of the muffins and the apples did not gel together. They both tasted great individually but together it was a little too sweet.
2. I should have used apple sauce as an egg substitute in the muffins to have more apple flavor.
3. Some spices like cinnamon and nutmeg in the muffin batter would have enhanced the flavors.
4. I should have poured less batter in the cups so that the roses would not sink so much.

My poor guinea pigs (read: hubby, kids and my friend, Anchal's family)!

Oh well, you never know till you try, right?

Linking to Beauty and Bedlam

9 comments:

  1. oh wow!! yumm yumm.. Those look yumm!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog name :-). Those apple muffins look YUMM! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look like awesome muffins. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMMY!! I'll have to try this!

    Hop'n by from 'Creative Bloggers Party & Hop'. I'm following your blog now, wont you please come and follow me back?? ~KM

    Krafty Max Originals

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to try my hand on baking..looks yummy....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nayana: Just like crafting/designing, even baking is addictive if you get the expected result. Just try it... its fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just mouthwatering...looks so easy to prepare and delicious!

    ReplyDelete