Friday, December 2, 2011

Eggless Self Saucing Chocolate Pudding



Everyone in my home enjoys warm desserts fresh out of the oven. When I was a non baker, Friday nights meant watching a movie and enjoying fresh cookies (frozen cookie dough) out of the oven.

Now that we are leaning towards a "natural" diet, I try to prepare most of the foods at home.... specially the junk foods. At least I know that we are not eating any preservatives and unwanted chemicals the names of whose I  had studied years ago in organic chemistry. Like Michael Pollan says, "Eat all the junk foods you want as far as you prepare it at home."

So, today I prepared this gooey dessert which I don't know should be called pudding or not because it has more of a cake texture than pudding. Well, what's in a name as far as my boys devour it!

Ingredients:
 For the batter:
All purpose flour: 1cup
Baking powder: 2 tsps
Cocoa powder: 3 tsps
Salt:  1/4 tsp
Sugar: 1/2 cup
Butter: 2 tbsps, melted
Milk: 1/2 cup
Yogurt: 1 1/2 tsps.
Vanilla: 1 1/2 tsps

 For the sauce:
Sugar: 1/2 cup (It was a little too sweet for me, but everyone else thought it was perfect)
Cocoa powder: 3 tbsps
Coffee powder: 1tsp (optional) I made them with and without coffee powder. My boys preferred the ones without.
Water: 1 cup

How to proceed:

1. Preheat the oven to 360 degrees F.
2. Sift the dry ingredients.
3. Add the butter, milk, vanilla and yogurt until well combined.
4. Grease your ramekins and spoon the batter in them. Fill a little less than half way.

For the sauce:
Mix all the ingredients.

Pour the sauce over the batter. Do not mix it. Do not fill more than 3/4 of the ramekin.

Place the ramekins on a baking tray to catch spills like pictured below or else you will have an oven clean up job ready for you.



Bake for 20 - 22 minutes.

Let it cool for 10 minutes and then dig into this yummy dessert.


Linking it at krithiskitchen's Serve It Series and here 
Jingle all the way @ edible entertainment

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Wow ! The pudding looks delicious...!! A perfect dessert for christmas parties.. !!!

    Thanks for linking to the blog party (http://liventhingsup.blogspot.com/2011/10/itz-festival-time-2011.html) ... !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks sooo good! Kind of like a molten brownie. Tucking this one into my recipe file for sure!

    Newly following from the recipe link party! Thanks for the yummy recipe!

    ~Mrs B

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the gooey pic! great recipe!

    Do go through the rules & link it to my event - Jingle All the Way (link below) if possible :)

    Kavi | Edible Entertainment

    Ongoing events:
    Jingle All The Way &
    Microwave Easy Cooking

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Emreen, Mrs.B and Kavi!
    Kavi:I have linked to your Jingle All the Way event!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How intriguing,I make 'Eggless Self Saucing Chocolate Pudding' too!The recipe,is more or less the same,one of the differences being my recipe contains a combination of brown and white sugars for the sauce.No coffee powder.
    Exceptional post!Made my mouth water.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanx for sending it to my event :)
    please change my blog name to Edible Entertainment. :)
    -
    Kavi
    (Edible Entertainment)
    Ongoing events:
    Jingle All The Way &
    Microwave Easy Cooking
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry Kavi.... Name changed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great for vegetarians thanks

    ReplyDelete