Friday, January 20, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ishaan is a big cookie monster! If there is a box of chocolate chip cookies from Costco, he can polish it off in a matter of two days. His love for chocolate chip cookies made me look high and low for a recipe that is easy enough for a novice baker like me and requires minimum ingredients. The main reason being I did not like the long list of nasty ingredients in store bought cookies. My stomach hurt when I saw him gobbling down the so called cookie that contained few ingredients that I could recognize or carry in my pantry, and more chemicals.

Finally, after an extended search I found one recipe that I really liked. It appealed to me right away.

Recipe adapted from: Annies-eats

Ingredients:
1. APF: 2 cups plus 2 Tbsps
2.Baking soda: 1/2 Tsp.
3. Salt: 1/2 Tsp (less if you use salted butter)
4. Unsalted butter: 12 Tbsps (melted and cooled down until warm. Do not rush this step. Make sure that the butter has cooled down or else your cookies will spread and be more pancake like.)
5. Brown Sugar: 1 cup packed
6. Sugar: 1/2 cup
7. Egg: 1 large plus 1 yolk
8. Vanilla extract: 2 Tsps
9. Chocolate Chip cookies: 1 cup (The original recipe calls for 1& 1/2 cups)

All you do is:
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. I was out of parchment paper so I greased the cookie sheets with oil.

2. Whisk dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
3. Mix the sugars and set aside. 
4. Add the melted butter and beat with hand or electric mixer until combined. Add vanilla extract, egg and egg yolk and beat again. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed until combined. Add the chocolate chips to this and mix. 

5. Roll a small ball and place on a cookie sheet leaving some space between the cookie balls. Bake reversing the cookie sheets half way through baking for 16 -18 mins until the cookies are light brown in color and the edges have hardened. The original recipe calls for 11-14 mins, but mine took longer.


6. Cool cookies on the sheet until able to lift and then let it cool on a cooling rack. We did not have to wait for that. The boys attacked them as soon as they were cool enough to hold.


 The best quality of the recipe is that it is very forgiving.
1.The first time I made these, I mixed the sugars with the dry ingredients instead of butter. I also forgot to add the extra 2 tbsps. of flour.
2.The second time I made these, I added the chocolate chips in the dry ingredients before getting the dough together.
3.I never stock unsalted butter in my home except when I have to make ghee. So, though the recipe calls for unsalted butter, I have used salted butter and reduced the quantity of salt.

Both times the cookies came out excellent. In fact, when I asked Shiv how it was, he said, "AMAZING in upper case." I thought that was very cute. My cookie monster of course devours these!! Hubby thinks they are a little buttery, but hey its butter that holds the dough together... if I decrease it, the cookies will be dry and crumbly.

So what  are you waiting for? Go ahead and enjoy these warm cookies fresh out of the oven with a glass of milk. mm mm mmmmm!
This dough freezes very well also. I rolled small balls and froze them in a muffin pan. Once they were frozen, I stored them in a freezer safe container. I have noticed that the baking time increases to 22-23 minutes for frozen dough.


Linking to Vegetarian Tastebuds.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Heta...I wish they were eggless...any substitute for egg??

    ReplyDelete