Monday, January 16, 2012

Marshmallow and Toothpick Creations

It was one of those snow days when school was not really off, but it was right before the long weekend so there was not much going on in school. Keeping this in mind, I started prepping for this activity for my boys to do. I left a bag of marshmallows open on the counter for about a week. I tossed it once everyday so that the hardened ones go on the bottom and the softer ones come up to breath some air. The marshmallows did harden, but not as much as I had expected. I think a better option would be to spread them on a platter and let them air dry for a couple of days.

Well, coming back to the activity.... armed with toothpicks and semi hardened marshmallows, my boys set out to make their creations. It kept them busy for quite sometime. Having Dad's company made the project all the more fun!

There was a lot of building and rebuilding and of course, how can we forget the temptation to pop the marshmallows in the mouth. Luckily, the boys opted not to because the bag was left open on the counter so they were afraid of germs. Here are a few pictures of their creations.




We learned that triangles are stronger than squares and cubes. They provide a better support. Overall, it was a fun activity that kept them occupied for some time.  



Pin It

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you are one helluva creative dame :-) I mean to come up with ideas such as this and keep your kids intellectually engaged. Neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha ha.. Thats very innovative.. I've never seen anything like this.. very pretty!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic. I remember doing it with my Grade 5's. Now that I have a 10-month-old, I'm trying to find activities for him that are age-appropriate. It's fun to learn all over again (in the sense of learning how to help HIM learn!) I'll put this idea in my memory bank for a few years down the road. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Yvonne! I am sure your fifth graders must have had fun doing this. Even my husband enjoyed it a lot. I plan on doing this every year to see how my boys' imagination, creativity and building skills change with time. Have fun with your 10-month old!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun idea! It's like knex/tinkertoys. I love that they're from marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh thats SO cool, I love this post! I found you on Tip Junkie! I would like to invite you to share this post with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays. http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/01/fun-stuff-fridays-7.html

    ReplyDelete