Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Vegetarian Stuffed Tomatoes

I was looking for a healthy, vegetarian appetizer/starter that looked tempting and colorful. I found a lot of recipes of vegetarian stuffed tomatoes, but most had some or the other cheese.

So, I thought and I thought (scary) and it finally occured to me... why don't I deconstruct a veggie chutney sandwich and stuff it in the tomatoes. So, fully excited I got to work. I was sure the tomatoes will taste good!

All I did was
1. Sliced off the stem. Scooped the center and invert them on a cooling rack allowing the liquid to drain out. Like so



 2. In a food processor, I pulsed the ingredients of a basic green chutney minus water. I added a few sprigs of fresh cilantro, a clove of garlic, 2-3 green chillies, salt, lemon juice, chat masala and cumin powder. Once everything was finely chopped, I added two slices of whole wheat bread and pulsed it again. I took this out in a bowl and added chopped onions and cucumber to this. Other vegetables that can be added to this are boiled potatoes, shredded carrots, beets, corn, etc. 



3. That's it. My stuffing was ready. All I did then was stuffed this in the tomatoes and enjoyed the healthy pre lunch snack.





Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Hetal....visiting after a long time...you are one great cook..checked all ur previous post...want to try the burger and chocolate pretzel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nayana! Where had you disappeared? I am glad you are back.

    ReplyDelete