Sunday, March 11, 2012

Colorful Cake

On the occasion of Holi, I thought of baking something fun and colorful. I wanted to bake a rainbow cake, but since I don't like using artificial colors, I thought of doing something lighter. Also, I have read that food color changes the taste of the food. Since this was the first time I using food color, I just used a few drops to give it a hint of color.
This is something I wanted to try so I did. Now, it's behind me.
I used a basic vanilla cake recipe and divided it into four bowls. Added a few drops of Wilton's gel color and gave it a gentle stir making sure that  I do not over beat the batter. Since I have only two 8" cake pans, I baked two at a time. Each batch was baked about 9 minutes. By the time I was done baking and preparing dinner, I was ready to call it a day.  I asked my boys if they would eat the cake without the icing.... and my spoiled brats refused! They were willing to wait a day or two till I ice the cake.
So, I wrapped each layer in plastic wrap and froze it until I was ready.
When I was finally in a better cooking mood, I prepared vanilla cream cheese icing and I was ready to finish this cake.
I just let the layers thaw for a few minutes and spread thinned out Strawberry jelly and the icing between the layers and the outside also. I was too lazy to do a crumb coat and a final coat so I just let the crumbs show.






Happy Holi!!

4 comments:

  1. looks super delicious Hetal..Happy Holi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nayana! Happy Holi to you and your family. Did get around baking the cake for Om?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cake looks gorgeous,.perfect for Holi,.:)

    ReplyDelete