Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Puppy Cake

Today is my friend, Anchal's daughter's birthday. The little Princess, Gauri, turns six today. Though I use the term Princess over here she is so not into Princesses and Fairies. She is TOTALLY into animals....Animals of all shapes, sizes, habitats. Her favorite of all is Puppy. I see her melt every time she pets a stranger's dog at the park.

I have known Gauri since she was 18 months new. She has grown sweeter every year. I have seen her blossom into this cute little girl who loves to have meaningful conversations with me. Her little eyes light up when she tells me a story from the park or something simple like her little brother wants to come over to my house to play.

Gauri loves to play with my boys! She has fun playing rough. She loves the outdoors and I often hear her giggling playing tag or skating with my boys.

For her birthday, she specifically wanted an animal cake. I gave her all sorts of choices with Princesses and Fairies, but she was clear. In her sweet little voice she said, "Aunty, I like princesses, but I love animals. Can I have an animal cake?"

There I was trying to bake a cute animal cake without the use of fondant or gum paste. I know she has a soft corner for puppies. So ... a Puppy Cake it was for Miss Gauri Mishra!

Gauri.. this one is for you! On your Sixth birthday we pray to God that He showers all his loveliest blessings on you! May you succeed in all the fields of life and make your Parents proud.

For the Puppy Cake you will need:
1. Two 8" cakes
2. Frosting of your choice. I used Chocolate butter cream with cream cheese frosting
3. M n M's for the eyes and mouth
4. Twizzlers for the collar and tongue.

 I started with two 8" eggless chocolate cakes.

Take the first cake and cut it in half like so

Using some frosting, glue the pieces together to form a semi circle.


Now take the second cake and cut it in half. Cut one half into quarters.



Align the curves of the quarters with the semi circle formed with the first cake. Glue them to the semi circle with some frosting. These become the hind legs of the puppy.

Carve a semi circle from the other half. I used a small bowl as a guide. (Please ignore the blurry picture.)


Cut the remaining rainbow into four equal parts. These become the snout, tail and ears of the puppy and the semi circle becomes the face.
Attach the pieces with some frosting


There... Gauri's little friend is beginning to take shape. I could see the puppy, but my boys thought it was an elephant cake first.
I tried to pipe some fur using the grass tip. It looked really cute and I was on a roll when suddenly I realized that the puppy started shedding its fur on the sides. I was disappointed. Why does this happen to me always? Also, the buttercream frosting was melting because of my body heat so that made matters worse.
I finally decided to slather the frosting on the puppy and give it some spikes.

I used brown m n m's for the eyes and mouth and twizzler for the collar and tongue.







Overall, the cake turned out very cute! Gauri and all her friends loved it!

Pin It

26 comments:

  1. This is so cute and very creative...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my great job and wonderful tutorial ! Your newest follower! Can please post on my Taste This Thursday party!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonnique for your comment and for following. I just linked to your party.

      Delete
  3. Great tutorial! I would love for you to link up at my Linky Party via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/04/show-me-what-you-got-linky-party-8.html

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just linked to your party. Thank you for hosting!

      Delete
  4. Wow HVP! Were you born so creative!!!??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are super creative Hetal ...... The cake was awesome ,we all loved it . Just mind blowing idea . Loved it totally , You Rock Girl :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anchal for the lovely comment and for always being my guinea pig! :))

      Delete
  6. aww..the cake is so cute..I am sure the lil girl loved it. you are getting very good at cakes Hetal..very creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nayana! Did you bake the cake for Om's birthday?

      Delete
  7. Wow!! This turned out SO cute. My Little Man would LOVE a puppy cake. Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how you've shown everything in so much of detail!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a darling labor of love. I'm sure she loved it. Thank you for linking up on Fabulous Friday. I have a great giveaway going on too! You're invited to stop by & enter: http://michellelunt.blogspot.com/2012/04/fun-giveaway-and-thank-you-to-my.html

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it and might try this for my little guy who wants a 'puppy cake'. I tried to 'Pin' it and it wouldn't pin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kristin,
    You should be able to pin it now!

    ReplyDelete