Monday, June 10, 2013

I Heart Warli Art!


Happiness has a new address is what my sister in law, Kajal said when we closed the deal on our brand new Home. She was so right!

It will be almost three months since we moved into our new home. With the weather getting better, I am now in the mood to decorate the home. I have always loved Warli art and Kutchi Lipan Kaam. I always wanted to incorporate them in my home decor but for some reason never did! Not any more.... the first project I tackled in my home is Warli art on my dining room wall. I had a basic idea of how to draw the shapes and just went to town after that!

We started with a our blank canvas... a huge builder grade butter yellow wall......boring!

The biggest challenge was finding the right orange color. I wanted the color to be similar to Geru.... the reddish orange color on which Warli art is done in India. Luckily Home Depot has samples which don't cost a fortune. For my size of the rectangle, two bottles of the samples were more than sufficient. It saved us from having to store half a quart of unfinished orange paint in the garage. I chose Glidden- Cinnamon Stick duo which is the paint and primer mixed in one. It is such a huge convenience to skip the primer step.

We just eye balled the rectangle and taped it using painter's blue tape. I did not want it to be too perfect.
 After a couple coats, my bright orange rectangle was ready to embrace Warli! Excuse the mess please! :)


I lightly drew the figures with chalk and then painted over it. The chalk lines were just for reference because again there was no perfection intended.


I couldn't wait to start painting... with full excitement, I began my mission armed with Martha Stewart brushes and white acrylic paint. The excitement died down instantly because the acrylic paint was not giving me good coverage. I was disappointed.... I searched high and low for the correct paint type. I asked around, sent emails, but didn't receive the answer I was looking for. Finally, I decided to use the same Glidden Duo in Swan White since it had the primer mixed in, I thought it should cover the orange better. It sure did and also went on very smoothly on the wall. I did have to do two coats on certain parts though which was not a big deal.

Finally with a loud drum roll.... I present to you my lovely Warli Art!



Soaking in the evening Sun... showing off its true colors!




Here's a final close up view... I know I know I need a better camera and I need to upload better pictures...... 

The Tarpa dance piece was what I was most nervous about, but once I started chalking there was no looking back.








I LOVE IT! I don't know how long will it stay before I get bored of it.... but until then I will enjoy it!

7 comments:

  1. wowww!! That is beauty, looks beautiful by sunlight! Great work

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will never get bored of it, I tell you. It has come out well. Happy viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Padmamanasa and Vasudha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice idea and equally well executed. I love it.
    Would have been happier to see a picture from distance, probably from where you clicked pic# 3.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea and welcome back Hetal...I hv missed u around :) warli looks absolutely amazing and gives such a earthy feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Tanya!
    Thanks Nayana....I have missed you too. I am so glad to be back! I hope I can stick around though,

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun wall art idea! Great job!

    We'd love to have you come link up at Remodelaholic.com where we host a Remodelaholics Anonymous linky party every weekend (Friday through Monday) for all types of home projects. Come share this or any of your other posts, too!

    ReplyDelete

- See more at: http://www.spiceupyourblog.com/2012/03/pinterest-pin-it-button-blogger.html#sthash.LIEwzV9l.dpuf